Thursday 25 June 2009

When it all seems like a lot of effort

It's almost two years since the implementation of the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) directive in the UK.

I often think if I wasn't in a job related to the waste and recycling sector I would have no idea that there is EU legislation requiring us to recycle our electrical waste. Of course, because I do know about it, I feel obligated to recycle my toaster that blew up the other week.

I live in a flat in central London, don't have a car and have been given a replacement toaster by my mum who had a spare one. I want to recycle my toaster but the nearest CA site is on the other side of the river and requires some effort to get there.

Of course, I'm willing to put in the effort to take my old toaster to the CA site by public transport but there will be many more people who simply won't go to the trouble. We have to be aware that if we don't make it easier for people to recycle such items they simply won't bother.

Andrea Height, MRW, deputy editor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here: