Thursday 2 July 2009

Second anniversary of WEEE

It's now July 2009 and just over two years since the WEEE directive came into effect in the UK.

Personally, I haven't seen very much in the way of publicity to the general public about what they need to do with their old electronic waste, and I'd say that most of my friends wouldn't know what to do with their electronic and electrical waste, which is rather worrying.

With large items such as washing machines and fridges these are more likely to go into the proper channels as they are bulky and require special pick ups or would have to be transported to CA sites. But a friend told me how he had just put his old hi-fi in the bin the other day, and it is this type of smaller electrical and electronic waste item that I fear is still getting into the general waste stream - and an area where we really need to step up our recycling efforts.

Andrea Height, MRW, deputy editor

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here: