Monday 20 July 2009

Education is the key to recycling

As the Government announced around four different reports last week on cutting carbon emissions, expanding anaerobic digestion, creating green jobs and more,it seemed as though it was actually taking practical action against climate change.
However, I think a key action it has missed is informing the public about just how important these measures are. Because of this many people are still quite cynical about the new technologies being invested in.
For example, I know about anaerobic digestion only because I work in this industry but I had never heard of it before I started this job - which was only three months ago. If my local authority were to bring in food waste collections I think many people in the area would be concerned about it attracting pests and wonder if it was truly necessary, because I know that thought would have previously crossed my mind.
The Government has neglected to explain to the people what AD is and why we need to do it. I believe the same problem lies with combined heat and power plants and even understanding the basic importance of recycling as much waste as we possibly can.
Well done to the Government for its efforts, but action won't be taken unless the public really understand it and accept it.

Tiffany Holland, Reporter, MRW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments here: