Tuesday 10 March 2009

I bought a new hoover....

I bought a new hoover from Curry's the other day. I asked the store assistant that served me if he could take my old one back under the WEEE rules. And he said: "We don't do WEEE take-backs at this store."
He explained that customers that have electrical items delivered by Currys can arrange for the old items to be collected at the same time. But only if they are delivered - you cannot take it back in-store (strange I thought in my mind). So they can recycle it if they deliver it but I can't take it back in-store!!!
I am sure that they launched a scheme in 2007 where you could take back your old electrical appliances at any store. I have to check this one out. The store assistant might have given me some wrong info - I am on a mission to find out!!

N.B. Thank you Brendan for your help. It was actually a Panasonic vacuum cleaner that I wanted to take back. Now, I know that I can take this back to the store I will just dump it inside. I thought I was right but obviously the store assistant did not know what he was talking about. Next time if in doubt speak to the manager!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    The first question is, was it actually a Hoover or just a Vacuum cleaner? :-)

    Anyway, the store assistant is completely wrong, you are entitled to bring your old "Hoover" to the store and they must take it from you, once you are replacing an item "like for like" they have no choice in the matter.

    Not doing WEEE take back is like a pub not doing the underage drinking laws

    You are still entitled to bring the old vacuum cleaner back now and they have to take it from you

    Brendan Palmer
    http://electronic-recycling.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here: