Tuesday 11 August 2009

Vacuum cleaner waste issues

Some of you may recall how I bought a vacuum cleaner in March from my local Curry’s store. This vacuum cleaner never actually worked properly or picked up any dirt. But we just assumed that it would work eventually so I forgot to take it back after the 28 days shop guarantee. Subsequently, I tried to take it back to the shop last weekend to exchange it for another one that worked – that failed miserably.
The store assistant told me that I never paid for product cover and the store would have to get someone to try and repair it before I got another one.
But one needs a vacuum cleaner so I brought the Henry version- which is good.
The store has just phoned me to say they cannot repair the vacuum cleaner I originally bought because the belt is broken and the belt is not covered under the manufacturer’s guarantee, so we have to fix it ourselves.
This has got me thinking about waste. When did it become acceptable to sell faulty products that didn’t work from the word go? When was it acceptable that you couldn’t get your money back or an exchange if you did not take out a product warranty?
Manufacturer’s need to make products that work and that are durable to stop creating waste. Or do you disagree?


Liz Gyekye, Senior Reporter, MRW

3 comments:

  1. what happened, no more blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the way products are manufactured nowadays...we live in a throw away society unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here: